Chocolate Beet Cake
- 2 medium beets or 1 large beet, peeled and diced
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole or white wheat flour (whole grain)
- 1/2 cup white unbleached flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 -1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Oil or spray a 9-by-13-inch baking pan.
Put diced beets in a small saucepan cover with water and boil until soft, about 1/2 hour, then allow the beets to cool. Drain beets, but reserve a couple of tablespoons of the reddish water for later. Put the beets in a food processor or blender with 2-3 tablespoons of fresh water, and process until smooth.
Put the puréed beets into a 2-cup measure. Add enough applesauce to reach the 2-cup mark. Add the 2 tablespoons of red water, vanilla extract, and vinegar to the beets, stirring well.
- Mix the dry ingredients together, then add the beet mixture and stir until well combined. Pour into greased baking pan, and bake for about 35 -50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely before serving or cutting. Frost with a raspberry jam glaze.
No fat, no eggs. Serves 6.
Visit BrattleboroFoodCoop.coop/Recipes for more terrific, tasty, and healthful recipes!