Zucchini Cakes with Yogurt Herb Sauce
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt or Greek yogurt (Greek will make a thicker sauce)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 7 tbsp finely chopped chives, parsley, basil, mint, green onion, or a mixture
- 3 medium zucchini (about 1 lb.), grated
- 1/2 tsp salt or less
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 5 tbsp flour, gluten free or whole wheat pastry
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Optional: 1 tsp. paprika, plus 1 pinch cayenne pepper or add any of your favorite seasonings as desired
Grate zucchini and combine with salt in bowl, and let stand 10 minutes, or until liquid is released.
While zucchini sits, finely chop all herbs and stir together yogurt, lemon juice, and 1 Tbsp of finely chopped herbs. Chill in refrigerator until serving.
Squeeze all liquid out of zucchini in handfuls, in a clean dish towel, or by pressing it against holes in a colander. Then transfer to large bowl (you should have about 1½ packed cups).
Stir in beaten egg, flour, remaining finely chopped herbs, baking powder, and paprika/cayenne (if using). Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
Heat about 2 tsp. oil in skillet over medium heat. Spoon four 2-Tbsp. mounds of batter onto pan, and slightly flatten. Cook 3 minutes per side, or until golden-brown. Transfer to plate with paper towel or wire rack, and repeat with remaining oil and batter.
Top zucchini cakes with yogurt herb sauce.