Global Village Cuisine (previously featured as one of our Producers of the Month) is a local Vermont business making meals and snacks with bold African flavor. We previously spoke with founders Mel and Damaris Hall about their origins in Kenya, their vision for making social impact in the world, and how they built a family while also growing a business. They shared their experience cooking for their son with food allergies who grew up unable to eat dairy, eggs, nuts, and seafood.
From this, they realized how important it was to make inclusive, allergy-friendly food for everyone to enjoy. That’s why we’re excited about their vegan and gluten free holiday recipes.
Damaris shares one of her personal favorite dishes from growing up in Kenya. It’s called “Irio” and it’s a mashed potato recipe made with peas and corn. With the holidays coming up, it’s the perfect dish to share with family or enjoy for yourself.
DAMARIS SHARES HER IRIO RECIPE:
2 lbs. organic potatoes
12-oz organic frozen corn
12-oz organic frozen peas
10-oz package organic chopped spinach
1 ½ teaspoons salt, or more to taste
¼ teaspoon ground white pepper
2 tablespoons butter or olive oil, more to taste
- Peel potatoes, cut them into large chunks, and boil until tender when pierced with a fork
- Drain the potatoes and mash while still warm, in a large bowl
- In a medium-size saucepan, bring 1 ½ cups water to a boil. Add the corn and peas and boil for 2 minutes over medium heat. Add the frozen spinach and boil for 1 minute more
- Drain the peas, corn & spinach in a colander with small holes
- While the vegetables are still warm, mash them in with the potatoes. Try and mash the mixture to a smooth consistency. Add the butter or olive oil, and salt and pepper
- Taste and add more salt, pepper, butter or olive oil if you like
The traditional version uses potatoes, but she’s also come up with a healthy twist that uses sweet potatoes (pictured below). Check out the recipe and let us know what you think of this dish. Sending warmest wishes to you and your family this holiday season!