VT Chevon Goat Meatballs
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup goat cheese
- 2 lb ground goat meat
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 450º F.
- Drizzle 2 tablespoons of the olive oil into a 9-by-13-inch baking dish and use your hand to evenly coat the entire surface. Set aside.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the onions, 1 teaspoon of salt, and the thyme. Lower heat to medium and cook, stirring frequently until the onions are soft and nicely browned (10-15 minutes.. Transfer to a bowl and place in the refrigerator to cool completely.
- Combine cooled onion mixture with remaining ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mix by hand until thoroughly incorporated.
- Roll the mixture into round, golf ball-size meatballs (about 1.5 inches), making sure to pack the meat firmly. Place the balls in the prepared baking dish, being careful to line them up snugly in even rows — vertically and horizontally — to form a grid. The meatballs should be touching one another.
- Roast for 20 minutes, or until the meatballs are firm and cooked through. A meat thermometer inserted into the center of a meatball should read 165º F.
- Allow meatballs to cool for 5 minutes in the baking dish before serving.