Sweet Onion Relish
- 4 cup sweet onion, chopped (2-3 large)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper (freshly ground if possible)
- 1/4 cup Modena balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth, chicken flavored
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Increase heat slightly and add onions. Saute until their color turns golden to lightly browned (about 15 minutes).
- Add the vinegars, honey, maple syrup, brown sugar, salt, and pepper. Stir and turn heat down so the mixture is at a simmer and cook the liquid down for about 5-6 minutes.
- Add broth and keep mixture to a simmer, stirring occasionally until liquid is nearly gone.
- Let cool and put your sweet onion relish in a lidded glass jar in the refrigerator. Let chill at least an hour before serving with cold sliced ham or turkey for appetizer or sandwich. Rewarm as a topper for hot ham, turkey or ribs as part of a meal.